Are your sneakers looking a little worse for wear? Tired of having to replace them every few months because they look so dirty? Learning tips on how to clean tennis shoes is essential if you want them to last longer and stay in top condition for your matches.
In this article, we’ll be offering up our top tips on how to clean tennis shoes the right way: from getting rid of dirt and grime build-up, all the way through to tackling tough marks like mud stains or scuffs. With these easy steps, you can keep your kicks looking fresh and new!
Tips on How to Clean Tennis Shoes Quick Guide
There are several methods that you can utilize when it comes to cleaning shoes. Below we’ll share with you three tips on how to clean tennis shoes easily and effectively by employing products you may already have at home! For more details continue below.
- Use a vinegar solution
- Use baking soda
- Use dish soap
Tips on How to Clean Tennis Shoe Steps
By following these tips on how to clean tennis shoes, you’ll have clean and ready shoes in no time! We present you three super easy, different ways to clean your tennis shoes, pick the one that suits you the most.
Tip 1: Use a vinegar solution
1. Remove the laces and insoles from your shoes.
2. Wipe down the outside with a damp cloth to remove dirt, dust, or mud residue.
3. Prepare a cleaning solution by combining equal parts white vinegar and warm water in a bowl or bucket.
4. Dip an old toothbrush into the solution and scrub away any tough stains on both the inside and outside of your shoes.
5. Rinse off your entire shoe with clean water to ensure all traces of soap/vinegar are gone then let them air dry naturally (in a well-ventilated area).
6. Stuff newspapers inside wet tennis shoes to absorb moisture while they’re drying out.
7. Once completely dry, put back in the insoles & laces for extra freshness!
Tip 2: Use baking soda
What you’ll need:
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 cup warm water
- To clean your dirty sneakers, make a spreadable paste by mixing baking soda and water.
- Use a toothbrush to spread the paste onto the stained areas of your shoes and scrub gently.
- After cleaning, wipe away the excess paste with a soft cloth.
- You can repeat the process if necessary, or let your shoes dry before wearing them.
Tip 3: Use dish soap
What you’ll need:
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon dish soap
- To, mix liquid soap with water and apply the soapy mixture to the stained areas using a cloth or an old toothbrush.
- If you’re using dish soap to clean white sneakers, it will be easier to see when the stain is lifted.
- Remember to rinse off any remaining soap and allow your shoes to dry.
Recommended Tools to Clean Tennis Shoes
Calyptus 75% Pure Super Concentrated Vinegar is a powerful and highly concentrated solution 15X stronger than regular vinegar, allowing you to get the cleaning power of 3.75 gallons of regular vinegar in just 1 quart!
It is made with domestic ingredients exclusive to the US, so you know its quality that can be trusted.
This acetic acid-based product should not be consumed – it’s best used for heavy-duty cleaning tasks, perfect for cleaning purposes, and when it comes to applying tips on how to clean tennis shoes.
Nutricost Baking Soda is a high-quality baking powder made from natural sources. It comes in 5-pound bottles for convenience, and it can be used in numerous ways – from baking to cooking and even toothpaste!
Not only that, but Nutricost Baking Soda is also great for deodorizing fridges, garbage cans, carpets, shoes, and more. Its uses go beyond just cooking as it’s also perfect for cleaning pools, kitchen sinks, pots & pans, and bathroom tubs.
Plus, with its GMO-free and gluten-free certification plus third-party testing you know it’s safe to use. With Nutricost Baking Soda you can not only bake your favorite goodies but clean your tennis shoes too – simply make a paste of the powder mixed with water then scrub away dirt on rubber soles or fabric surfaces for cleaner shoes!
Amazon Basics Dish Soap is a powerful detergent that helps make cleaning dishes easy and efficient.
Its grease-cutting formula effectively removes tough food stains without the use of harsh chemicals, leaving your dishes, glassware, and utensils sparkling clean with a pleasant fresh scent. Plus, it’s free from parabens, phthalates, or phosphates for a more natural experience.
You can even reorder this essential product with Alexa! For tips on how to clean tennis shoes quickly and easily while still being gentle on the material, Amazon Basics Dish Soap has you covered.
Common Questions About How to Clean Tennis Shoes
Should tennis shoes be washed?
When wondering about the best tips on how to clean tennis shoes, this is a fair question. Sneakers made from materials like canvas, nylon, polyester, or cotton can usually be washed with laundry detergent.
On the other hand, rubber boots and leather or suede shoes may not be able to withstand a wash cycle. Make sure to follow the care label instructions for proper care.
How do you clean tennis shoes easily?
To clean your shoes, start by rinsing off any loose dirt or soil with cool water. Then, put them in a mesh laundry bag and wash them with similarly colored towels using warm water and a heavy-duty detergent such as Persil or Tide.
What can I soak my tennis shoes in to clean them?
To clean your shoes, first, prepare a mixture of warm water and dishwashing liquid in a sink or bucket. Then, fully submerge the shoes in the mixture and let them soak for at least one hour. Next, use a soft toothbrush to scrub all outside surfaces of the shoes thoroughly.
Can I soak tennis shoes in vinegar?
Soak the insoles in a solution of 2 parts vinegar and 1 part hot water for a few hours. The vinegar is a natural disinfectant that will help kill the bacteria lurking in the shoes.
Does baking soda clean sneakers?
To wash your shoes, you can use baking soda. Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 1/2 tablespoon water and 1/2 tablespoon hydrogen peroxide to make a paste.
Then, with an old toothbrush, gently brush the paste into the shoe’s surface, using just enough force to remove any loose dirt and work the paste into the shoe.
How often should tennis shoes be washed?
For optimal shoe maintenance, it is recommended to clean them after every use. Although many people tend to clean their shoes once per week or when they become dirty, consistent care is necessary to maximize the lifespan of your running shoes.
Is it safe to wash tennis shoes in the washing machine?
To avoid any potential damage to your shoes and ensure better washing results, please do the following:
- First, use a brush to remove any loose dirt from your shoes, then take out the laces and insoles before placing them in the washing machine. This will prevent the laces from tangling around the machine’s moving parts and the insoles from becoming too wet to dry properly.
- To remove tough stains like grass or mud from your shoes, apply a stain remover before washing them.
- For white tennis shoes, it’s recommended to use a mesh bag to prevent damage to the shoes and the washer drum.
- Adding a couple of towels to the wash can also help minimize any impact.
Video Tutorial HOW TO CLEAN YOUR TENNIS SHOES! | DIYHOLIC
Are your tennis shoes looking a little bit worse for wear? In this video, you’ll witness some of the best tips on how to clean tennis shoes and how to maintain your favorite pair of sneakers spot on. Learn the best cleaning methods, as well as insider tips on keeping them in tip-top shape!
Cleaning your tennis shoes on a regular basis is essential to keeping them in good condition. With the tips on how to clean tennis shoes and tricks outlined above, you’ll be able to keep your favorite pair of sneakers looking like new.
Whether it’s tackling tough stains or just giving them a quick wipe down, following these steps will ensure that your tennis shoes look their best for years to come. Take care of your shoes with tips on how to clean tennis shoes so they can take care of you on the court!